What do you crunch and why?
Dreams5
2005-08-29 23:28:05 UTC
Hi!
New to the group, been crunching for ud for several years now. They were
down for a while, so I loaded find-a-drug on my desktop and laptop.
I will be getting broadband soon, so I will be able to participate in some
of the other dc programs out there also.... Once I get my network set-up, I
can add in my older computer, if it is even worth it... It currently runs
win95, but I was thinking of installing linux on it. Not even sure if that
would be worth the electricity to run though...
Looking forward to hearing from some of you.... Any links to other forums or
mailing lists would be helpful also!
I've been reading the updates and news on here, good stuff!
Thanks!
flobert
2005-08-29 23:46:31 UTC
Post by Dreams5
Hi!
New to the group, been crunching for ud for several years now. They were
down for a while, so I loaded find-a-drug on my desktop and laptop.
I will be getting broadband soon, so I will be able to participate in some
of the other dc programs out there also.... Once I get my network set-up, I
can add in my older computer, if it is even worth it... It currently runs
win95, but I was thinking of installing linux on it. Not even sure if that
would be worth the electricity to run though...
Looking forward to hearing from some of you.... Any links to other forums or
mailing lists would be helpful also!
I've been reading the updates and news on here, good stuff!
Thanks!
Used to do distributed.net (which is owned by UD - bought over in
2000) - Even was a regular in its IRC chan. They went lasy though, had
major flaws in OGR, which were poined out in 2002 (leading to OGR
phase 2) and rc5-72 is just a minor alteration to existing clients) -
they've been complacent with their 'fame and wages'

***@home - pointless, there are purpose made systems that use the
same hardware as run ***@home, which can do the job in realime, over
a greater frequency band (such as the BETA setup at harvard) Its a
publicity stunt, rather thana serious project. Were they serious,
they'd have used the funds+hardware to make a BETA system.

GIMPs is pretty good. used to run that.

nowadays, however, i go for the muon1 project. the 'project space' is
massive compaired to the BOINC projects and the like. currently 4
design projects active, several of them in the 280^1000 range with
processing time around half an hour per. instead of a low-tech brute
force system, it uses an evolutionary model, growing the best results
based on previous results and mutating. Takes something like 8 months
to get a near maximal dseign out of one of these 280^1000 permutation
designs. Compare to the 3 years or so distributed.net took for the
vastly smaller RC5-64 project, despite having 100x the paticipants.

just my persnal opinion though, i don't have anything official to do
with anyy project now.
.
Dreams5
2005-09-02 03:41:15 UTC
Post by flobert
Used to do distributed.net (which is owned by UD - bought over in
2000) - Even was a regular in its IRC chan. They went lasy though, had
major flaws in OGR, which were poined out in 2002 (leading to OGR
phase 2) and rc5-72 is just a minor alteration to existing clients) -
they've been complacent with their 'fame and wages'
Didn't realize this..... that sucks because this is a project I believe can
help people....
Post by flobert
a greater frequency band (such as the BETA setup at harvard) Its a
publicity stunt, rather thana serious project. Were they serious,
they'd have used the funds+hardware to make a BETA system.
Haven't been able to find any info on this BETA system, are there any
projects available for crunching???
Post by flobert
GIMPs is pretty good. used to run that.
nowadays, however, i go for the muon1 project. the 'project space' is
massive compaired to the BOINC projects and the like. currently 4
design projects active, several of them in the 280^1000 range with
processing time around half an hour per. instead of a low-tech brute
force system, it uses an evolutionary model, growing the best results
based on previous results and mutating. Takes something like 8 months
to get a near maximal dseign out of one of these 280^1000 permutation
designs. Compare to the 3 years or so distributed.net took for the
vastly smaller RC5-64 project, despite having 100x the paticipants.
Do you think programmers have improved dc software so much that the old UD
program seems ancient now? It really is a shame that they can't improve on
this.... I even saw a project listed that worked on improving projects...
flobert
2005-09-02 05:08:07 UTC
Post by Dreams5
Post by flobert
Used to do distributed.net (which is owned by UD - bought over in
2000) - Even was a regular in its IRC chan. They went lasy though, had
major flaws in OGR, which were poined out in 2002 (leading to OGR
phase 2) and rc5-72 is just a minor alteration to existing clients) -
they've been complacent with their 'fame and wages'
Didn't realize this..... that sucks because this is a project I believe can
help people....
I felt so too. Even offered to do the completion in OGR back in 2001 -
thats how i found out about the incompleteness that later became
'phase 2'
Post by Dreams5
Post by flobert
a greater frequency band (such as the BETA setup at harvard) Its a
publicity stunt, rather thana serious project. Were they serious,
they'd have used the funds+hardware to make a BETA system.
Haven't been able to find any info on this BETA system, are there any
projects available for crunching???
Its not a distributed computing system. Doesn't need to be. Its a self
contained system, about the size of 2 standard servre racks, does all
the work of ***@home, and more, a lot faster than ***@home does.
http://seti.harvard.edu/seti/beta.html
Post by Dreams5
Post by flobert
[...]
Mostly, no. Mostly its still small-medium projects, with a simplistic
server > client > server daa chain. Very simplistic, yes, but
inefficient, and not suitable for anything above medium size. Your
brain doesn't work at a problem by examining every single possibility,
even those clear to be dead-ends. Neither should a project.
Kirk Pearson
2005-09-19 23:39:40 UTC
Post by flobert
Post by Dreams5
Post by flobert
a greater frequency band (such as the BETA setup at harvard) Its a
publicity stunt, rather thana serious project. Were they serious,
they'd have used the funds+hardware to make a BETA system.
Haven't been able to find any info on this BETA system, are there any
projects available for crunching???
Its not a distributed computing system. Doesn't need to be. Its a self
contained system, about the size of 2 standard servre racks, does all
http://seti.harvard.edu/seti/beta.html
I recommend that everyone read ***@home's detailed description of
itself here:
http://seticlassic.ssl.berkeley.edu/about_seti/about_seti_at_home_1.html
and particularly this page:
http://seticlassic.ssl.berkeley.edu/about_seti/about_seti_at_home_4.html
and decide for themselves whether Harvard's BETA system is performing the
same signal analysis, and to the same depth, that ***@home is. From the
BETA web page, it looks like BETA only looks for one kind of signal and
only for strong signals. I disagree that ***@home is pointless. If nothing
else it has done a lot to perfect the state of the art in public
distributed computing projects, and features and processes that it has
developed appear in most major public projects running today.
--
Kirk Pearson, editor of http://distributedcomputing.info (news and
information about public distributed computing projects)