Diagrams for multi-threaded programs
Marc de Palol
2006-05-25 22:10:41 UTC
Hello,

does anybody know if exists any kind of diagram or specification language
to define (or draw) multi-threaded programs?

it should have threads, forks, signals and external events.

Thanks to all.

Marc
| "Let's call it an accidental feature..." (Larry Wall)|
| WEB : http://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~lant |
Honjo
2006-05-26 06:17:10 UTC
Post by Marc de Palol
Hello,
does anybody know if exists any kind of diagram or specification language
to define (or draw) multi-threaded programs?
it should have threads, forks, signals and external events.
Thanks to all.
Marc
Is Petri Net (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petri_net) what you are
looking for?
Wolfgang
David DiNucci
2006-05-26 16:38:12 UTC
Post by Marc de Palol
Hello,
does anybody know if exists any kind of diagram or specification language
to define (or draw) multi-threaded programs?
it should have threads, forks, signals and external events.
If you want to explicitly model draw those constructs exactly as they're
usually defined, I'm guessing you'll end up with a very messy drawing
(at best), and probably not much help. I don't know if there are any
techniques out there for this.

If you mean (more broadly) that you want to be able to model multiple
threads of execution, the ability to increase and decrease parallelism,
and the ability to produce and catch exceptional events both internally
and externally, then I would recommend ScalPL (Scalable Planning
Language, http://www.elepar.com/ScalPL.html). If you want some tools to
help with the drawings, please let me know. I'd also be happy to
discuss feedback here (in comp.distributed).

You might also look at UML (Unified Modeling Language) and BPEL
(Business Process Execution Language). I would say that those are less
abstract and less formal than ScalPL. Last time I looked at them, they
didn't really handle what you request, but they claimed to be moving in
that direction.

-Dave
---
David C. DiNucci