I/O cost vs. communication cost
tmt2004
2007-09-25 14:34:00 UTC
Hi, I'm looking for some documents that state the comparison between
processing cost (I/O cost and CPU cost) and communication cost of the
recent computing systems. I'd prefer to have the materials in the
forms of research papers, research surveys and trusted resources that
can be cited.

I found some numbers in the distributed database textbook but since
the textbook was published in 1999, i believe these numbers are no
longer accurate.

Could anyone point me to some resources? Thanks in advance!
Edward Feustel
2007-09-26 10:04:36 UTC
Post by tmt2004
Hi, I'm looking for some documents that state the comparison between
processing cost (I/O cost and CPU cost) and communication cost of the
recent computing systems. I'd prefer to have the materials in the
forms of research papers, research surveys and trusted resources that
can be cited.
I found some numbers in the distributed database textbook but since
the textbook was published in 1999, i believe these numbers are no
longer accurate.
Could anyone point me to some resources? Thanks in advance!
When you say Communication Cost, do you mean:
1. Via telephone
2. Via the internet (direct, satellite)
3. Intermodule
4. Interprocessor
What communications protocol are you using?
1.UDP
2.TCP
3. X.25
4. X.400
As you can see, the "cost" in CPU cycles varies widely. I am not certain
that
you can give a good number, let alone a range.
Ed
tmt2004
2007-09-26 16:52:12 UTC
Post by Edward Feustel
Post by tmt2004
[...]
Thanks, Ed for your reply.

Communication cost I mean the transmission cost in a computing
network. I am not an expert in the computer networking. Actually I am
doing a research about distributed database systems. So what I want to
know is that in what case (what application) the processing cost (I/O
cost + CPU cost) is negligible in comparison with transmission cost
and in what case processing cost and transmission cost are
comparable.

What I found in the distributed database textbook is that:

For wide area network, the ratio communication cost to I/O costs is
20:1

For local area network, the ratio is 1:1.6

But the textbook is published in 1999 and I believe these numbers
should be no longer accurate.