Java and GreenTea to discover habitable planets in the universe, possibly on Mars
John
2004-02-05 01:32:53 UTC
A while back, a colleague of mine referred me to a software package
called GreenTea (http://www.GreenTeaTech.com), which is a pure Java
based P2P distributed network computing platform that SETI utilizes in
its Planet Quest project - searching habitable planets, possibly
including Mars. We downloaded the software and integrated it in our
heavy-duty processing applications that run on a network of Windows
and Linux machines. Amazingly it works quit well. It's very light
weight (2MB download), and easy to integrate with our existing
software. So just to pass this along to those who may benefit from it.

- John
tstrufe
2004-02-05 15:29:35 UTC
Hi John,

I've had a quick look at it and it seems to me, that greentea isn't much
more than utilizing the java classloader mechanism, if I'm not mistaken.
_And_ it seems to be a for-profit-project?
Interesting enough it's closed source and the code is obfuscated, may be
someone is afraid somebody should realize!?
A student of us wrote something similar in about two days as a seminar
work, which did it's job very well.
I couldn't find any hint about the usage in SETI as well, may be
somebody could point it out for me?
Anyways, may be someone finds it interesting, thanks for the tip,

best,

thorsten
- John
tstrufe
2004-02-05 15:32:23 UTC
addon:

sorry for tofu-quoting in the previous mail

thorsten
tstrufe
2004-08-05 15:11:35 UTC
Hi Edward,

I've had a quick look at it a while ago and it seems to me, that
greentea isn't much more than utilizing the java classloader mechanism,
if I'm not mistaken. No mention of any security mechanisms (which would
not be too easy to implement for a classloadermechanism as well...)
It seems to be a for-profit-project though.